[MUD-Dev] Client Technology

Todd McKimmey rufus at wombatgames.com
Fri May 5 18:01:50 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Morrow" <Jon at Morrow.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 4:07 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Client Technology
> Currently, I am deciding which programming language would support a GUI
> based client most effectively.  Portability is obviously a consideration,
> while so is development time.  For these reasons, I am pondering the
> potential of Java.  Massive calculations will not need to be made, but I
am
> a little concerned about what I have seen in its speed with graphical
> components.  Low-interaction video and audio must be supported, along with
> the regular graphical controls like text boxes.

I know virtually nothing about Java. I've done a few tutorials, etc, and
what I've seen I've not been too fond of. Most people know I'm pretty fond
of Python, and although this isn't directly related, I was recently working
on a builder client for LegendMud using a GUI interface. I chose Python with
Python's Toolkit interface, and had a working prototype that worked on
Xwindows, windows, and mac in about 4 hours (not considering the 3-4 hours
it took me to learn the Python/TK api). Minor tweaking was needed to
alleviate some problems between the display nuances of Windows and X, but
once I got it where I liked, the code needed no internal switches, it worked
one way for all platforms.

I'm not 100% sure of the support for video, but audio already has support
libraries in Python.

Worth checking into, perhaps.

-Todd