[MUD-Dev] Client Technology

Greg Munt greg.munt at btconnect.com
Sat May 6 01:30:08 CEST 2000

Jon Morrow wrote:

> Currently, I am deciding which programming language would support a GUI
> based client most effectively.  Portability is obviously a consideration,
> while so is development time.  For these reasons, I am pondering the
> potential of Java.  Massive calculations will not need to be made, but I am
> a little concerned about what I have seen in its speed with graphical
> components.  Low-interaction video and audio must be supported, along with
> the regular graphical controls like text boxes.
>
> As I am not incredibly educated in the pros and cons of the different
> languages in the gaming community, would anyone care to comment?

I cannot comment on video and audio. However, I have been developing
Java front-ends for the past 10.5 months. In my opinion, blackdown java
is slightly slower than acceptable speed. There IS a variance, however.
At times, it is acceptable, at other times, it is less than acceptable -
users can watch windows being painted. On average, however, my initial
statement is accurate. A JIT compiler would improve this (allegedly, at
least twice as fast) - I cannot comment on this, yet, however, since I
have yet to use one. Use of one is anticpated in the near future,
however.

FYI, I am developing a mud server in pure java, with an accompanying
java client. I hope to make this an applet, but no promises. My
inspiration comes from the devmud archives. Indeed, a lot of discussion
has taken place with Jon Leonard, on his devmud implementation at
slimy.com 2121.

Are there alternative devmud implementations out there?
Greg.