[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Tue May 9 12:45:53 CEST 2000

Travis Nixon wrote:

[snip]

> In the same way, it will simply not be possible to populate a large world
> with interesting "stories" as long as a writer is required to come up with
> them all.  (I'm sort of mangling the word story here.  What I mean is
> building a history of past events and a system for determining future
> sequence of events)   The costs would simply be unreasonable.  Sure, have
> writers for the big, major, world-changing plots, but to truly fill out the
> world and the characters in it, you need a lot more than that.

[snip]

> Now, I'm not all that sure I like the idea of canned quests to start with,
> but if you had a system that could take the current state of the world, and
> figure out something interesting for a player to do, you could have a lot
> more of these, and they would be dynamic and fit in the context of the
> current events.

[snip]

> So, back to the original point.  What we need here is two major things.  A
> way to create large worlds, and a way to populate them with interesting
> things to do / see / hear about.  er...well, ok, there are actually a lot of
> other things we need too, but those are two of the largest undertakings, and
> where a lot of my idle thought has gone lately. :)

It seems to me that your main focus is to find interesting things for players to
do.  I would submit that this is the focus of _many_ of the complaints leveled
at current MMORPGS (players don't call it "LevelQuest" without reason).
However, I see this as quite removed (or at least capable of being removed) from
the story issue.  Although either one will give your players something
(possibly) interesting to do, there is a _huge_ difference between quest as goal
and quest as story.  In other words, stories are not the only way to address a
lack of interesting things to do.  Perhaps the largest limitation of the
"sandbox" method is not that it doesn't have interesting stories (although this
is a major shortcoming), but that it doesn't have interesting goals.

The goals that are available are almost entirely individual in nature.  Get item
A for your own personal use.  Skill to level X for your own personal glory.
About the only social structure given to the player for the purpose of pursuing
community goals is the (overly used) "guild."  But a group of players will find
an event interesting if it affects the entire group.

What if the construction of a large building gave a defensive bonus to an entire
city?  Do you think that building such a structure would be interesting to
members of that city?  Do you think that preventing the gathering of resources
to build that structure might be interesting to members of a rival city?

What if bringing an item to their temple gave a new spell to an entire class of
priests?  In fact, what if priestly spells were totally icon dependant?  In
other words, whichever group of priests has a unique spell icon in their temple
can use that spell, but all others cannot.  Now, all priests want to bring as
many icons as possible to their own temple.  I think that I would personally
find this to be a very interesting goal.

What if ambrosia were discovered to grow in a few spots on the map, and after
farming and processing, it was capable of temporarily increasing the HP of those
who ate it?  Wouldn't it be interesting to try to control the growth,
processing, and control of the food of the gods?

I think that there are a couple of key changes which could really make MMORPGs
very interesting.  First of all, provide much more depth of structure and
organization for various interrelated groups of characters.  Nest groups within
groups.  The Priests of Jad will benefit from obtaining the Holy Hand Grenade
Icon, but their benefit is also the benefit of the military forces of their
city, who really enjoy the big boom that it makes when they lob a premade Holy
Hand Grenade spell at their enemies, but their benefit is also the benefit of
the city, who depends on the military to keep them safe, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Secondly, make powerful items affect many people (as defined by your organized
groups) to a small degree instead of only affecting a relative few to a large
degree.

In general, learn from the great goal management demonstrated in RTS games.
There is much there that could be translated to MMORPGs.

Once we have this in place, then we can see about having some kind of
overarching story that will _unify_ the various goals.  But we don't have to
tell each individual a story.  Perhaps they will understand their own simulated
life as a sort of narrative.  Perhaps they will understand the post facto
history of their city as a sort of narrative.  (I don't really think of these as
true "story," but I see that they can be interesting and entertaining, which I
believe is our goal.)  I still think that the true story of the game is subject
to the vision of a true writer (not some plot generator), but with the proper
tools and support, I think a good team of writers would be capable of handling a
high-level story line, bringing cohesion to the goals (interactively) pursued by
the players.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."