[MUD-Dev] FIrst LOgin REview (was attracting players)

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Wed May 10 15:35:18 CEST 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000 adam at treyarch.com wrote:

> I had shied away from that so far becuase of the terrible terminal
> programs that people are using out there.  I thought I was using what
> were very simple codes, but many clients (ZMud being the big offender)
> have serious troubles with them.  Of course, I was also thinking of using
> the VT-100 autonegotiation; I wasn't aware that there were telnet codes
> to accomplish the same thing.
>
> Have you had any trouble with certain client programs not recognizing, or
> worse yet, responding incorrectly to your autodetection?

One of the nice things with telnet negotiation is that if your client
even only supports very minimal telnet protocol stuff it will not mess up
when getting the negiation codes...  We have had no problems at all with
any of this.

The telnet protocol stuff is pretty confusing though, it is spread through
a bunch of different RFCs.  Probably easier if you got a correctly working
telnet negotiation code from somewhere.  MudOS has correct telnet code
(after I added it in 0.19 sometime or something like that).

Good luck!
David.