[MUD-Dev] FIrst LOgin REview (was attracting players)

Wed May 10 19:34:39 CEST 2000

[adam at treyarch.com:]

> The screen width is used only for wordwrapping.  If you choose an number
> that's too small, it doesn't look bad, there's just blank space on the right
> side of your client window.  If you choose a number that's too large,
> then it looks ugly.
>
> Yeah, I should ditch this question.  Assuming 80 collumns is fine (as far
> as I know, I'm the only mud in existence that autoformats all its text to
> fit the player's screen anyways) and they can change it later if they
> want to take advantage of a wider window.

I do the wordwrapping too - I consider it central to the proper functioning
of the MUD - I don't want builders to have to worry about it.

> > What is the highest number visible on your screen? 24

Can't you try the Telnet NAWS (Negotiate About Window Size) option? Some
of the MUD clients out there support it, and most decent telnet programs
do. Alternatively, default to 24 x 80 and have "obvious" commands to
allow the user to change the values. I use "width" and "height", but
"rows/lines" and "columns" would be good too. (Adds aliases...)

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/