[MUD-Dev] Addressing newbies

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue May 16 21:07:35 CEST 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000 19:08:38 -0700
Christopher Allen <ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

> P.S. there needs to be a 'search exact phrase' feature and a
> 'near' feature in the search engine for it to be useful in finding
> things. <sigh>

Agreed.  However, for the nonce I've added the ability to limit
searches to a specific period in the archives.  This support a
different mining approach:

  1) Search for something in the entire archive related to what you
     want.

  2) Find a good clue/pointer to what you want, or at least
     something that establishes an "it happened before here" point,
     and then limit your searches to the periods before then.

This was the approach i took to find and post the URLs in my last
message.  It helped of course that my first hit for
"newbie&sword&sing" (I recalled something about a sword singing)
limited the seartch to 1997Q4 and earlier, which is a small field.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu