[MUD-Dev] Critique: Realms of Despair

Kevin Scott London london at cs.utk.edu
Wed May 17 00:53:12 CEST 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, David Bennett wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000 adam at treyarch.com wrote:
>
> > <21hp 112m 99mv>
> > You must specify at least one argument.
> > Use 'who 1' to view the entire who list.
> >
> > ####
> > # Oh, okay..."who 1"
> > ####
> >
> > Avatar          Jarax is on loan for guard duty. <Guild of Mages>
> >  16 Mage        Gaol!.
> >  26 Warrior     Quaph has 9 portals left (read bio).
> > Avatar          Karaa brewing.
> > Avatar          Ienna is running..Away!.
> >  10 Ranger      Qillin Parchments 'n RECALLS for the Pixie Nation [PN].
> > Avatar          Feraa brewing, will SAC all portals left on the ground!.
> > Avatar          Geoffrey is proud to be GoP's donation security guard. <Guild of Paladins>
> > [snip snip snip snip snip]
> > 367 players.
> >
> > ####
> > # AAGGGGHH!  My poor company's DSL (overloaded during the day) bogs down for
> > # thirty seconds or so as the who scrolls by.
> > # As it finally recovers, I see that we're look at close to 400 players
> > # online.
> > # Suggestion: make "who" by itself print the number of players, so that
> > # those poor folks playing on modems have half a chance.
> > ####
>
> We get around this by only printing the names in the main who list and
> giving you the more detailed information what do something like:
> who wizards
>
> Reduced the spam from who significantly...
>

>From the helpfile on realms on who
WHO
WHO shows the characters currently in the Realms.  Invisible characters
will
not appear on this list if you cannot detect invisible.  Immortals who are
wizinvis higher than your own level also will not appear.

Syntax:  who                 who <class>    who <class> race>
range>

With arguments, WHO can show players of certain classes, races, or levels:
For example:

 who 10                  lists all characters level 10 or above
 who 15 20               lists all characters between level 15 and 20
 who cleric              lists all clerics playing
 who cleric elf          lists all cleric elfs playing
 who imm                 lists all Immortals playing
 who cleric 1 5          lists all clerics between levels 1 and 5
 who deadly              lists all deadly (pkill) characters playing

NEW ADDITIONS:
 who 'guild of mages'    lists all online members of the specified Guild
 who <order name>        lists all online members of the specified Order
 who <clan name>         lists all online members of the specified Clan
 who 'newbie council'    lists all online members of the specified Council
 who <deity name>        lists all online worshippers of the specified  deity
 who group               lists all online grouped players
 who group 10 20         will list all players level 1 thru 10 who are grouped
                         or who desire to group. (see also help CONFIG)
 who leader              will list all leaders of clans, orders, guilds and
                         councils.  This can be used in conjuction with a
                         specific order if it is listed after the name.
                         For example who 'guild of mages' leader

But I like the idea of combining names on lines.  Not sure how you combine
waves, etc... Unless you buffer things up and send it out after you have
taken care of everyone in the game.

Kevin

: Kevin London   Internet: london at cs.utk.edu
: Research Associate, Department of Computer Science
: Ayres 216      Phone: (423) 974-5790
: University of Tennessee, Knoxville