[MUD-Dev] Critique: Realms of Despair

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Wed May 17 11:36:18 CEST 2000

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Kevin Scott London wrote:
> But I like the idea of combining names on lines.  Not sure how you combine
> waves, etc... Unless you buffer things up and send it out after you have
> taken care of everyone in the game.

Actually, at least in stock diku, and probably in most character-based
server systems, the data is not actually sent to the socket the moment
the message is called from your wave function.  Instead it just tacks it
into a buffer, which gets output after the game update has completed
and the main mud loop has entered the "process output" stage.  Assuming
you do this once ever 1/10th of a second or so, it means that things will
only get stacked if they happen with 0.1s of each other.

Adam