[MUD-Dev] update on selling Godhoods

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Sun May 21 19:27:57 CEST 2000

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Richard Woolcock wrote:

> Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> >
> > Well, as many of you predicted, the experiment has so far not gone well.
> > We've had a number of enquiries, and the $3000 was not really an issue.
>
> [snip]
>
> > This is actually a bit of a general problem, as the people whom we most
> > want to become Gods, are often the sort of people who are smart and
> > reasonably successful (adults) in their careers (and had the money to
> > spend quite a bit on their characters). By spending all the money on their
> > mortals, they feel like they must not give them up.
>
> Have you considered counting the money they've put towards their characters
> as part of the $3000?  Of course I've no idea what you'd do if they've spent
> more than that already, and there's still the matter of time and effort that
> will still be "wasted".

A number of people suggested this originally, but it doesn't help support
the original reason I thought selling godhoods might be nice, ie that the
person has to commit resources to the _god_ not to the mortal. It's been
our experience generally that committing resources to a mortal doesn't, in
any way, bind a player to a God, as it's a completely different
experience.

--matt