[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

kitkat at marcus.pants.nu kitkat at marcus.pants.nu
Mon May 22 16:33:36 CEST 2000

I sent this to the original poster, but since this became a list
discussion:

A specific case in point that free speech can be controlled in certain
settings:

http://www.herald-review.com/0/order1224-9.html

Note that a judge issued an injuction that restricted a protest

	1) that was not obscene or distasteful.
	2) was on public (school) property.

The guy has no clue when it comes to case law.  Free speech does not
require people to provide the means to express contrarian views, such as a
free forum.  His internet examples were just wrong (I work at a portal,
and our TOS specfically allows us to monitor content if we choose).  And
beyond all of that, free speech has never been held by courts as being
absolute when it conflicts with maintaining order.  I think preventing
talk of sexual and illegal activities in areas where other users could be
offended on a private system using private resources would meet any first
ammendment test... if it didn't get tossed before it got that far for
being dumb.

-Katrina