[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

Gary Whitten undiscoveredworlds at mediaone.net
Mon May 22 18:56:39 CEST 2000

Personally, I think the guy has way too much time on his hands.  I used to
be the head-yahoo on a pay-for-play game and basically there were some
situations like this no matter how careful or diplomatic you were.  There
was some good advice given here and you should probably think about which
suits you best and then do it.  If it were me, I would do the following:

1) Figure out exactly how you want to set policy on these issues.
2) Alter your Terms of Service; post a login banner saying you've altered
them and that staying logged in is acceptance of the terms.
3) Thank the guy for taking the time to write, point to the Terms of
Service, and leave it at that.

The more you get into a long, drawn out debate on this issue, the worse
things are going to get.  Make sure your Terms of Service are clear and
concise and specify that you can terminate a character or account without
cause or reason and you're fine.  Granted, actually DOING so is bad for your
game, you can't just boot everyone who sneezes funny, but having that in
there saves you the trouble of imagining every scenario that might need to
be included.

Good luck

Gary Whitten
undiscoveredworlds at mediaone.net