[MUD-Dev] Marketing text-based games (was: Ten Commandments for the next MMORPG)

Schubert Schubert
Mon May 22 19:52:57 CEST 2000

I assume you know about the mud connector.  http://www.mudconnect.com/

For what it's worth, I've come to the conclusion over time that MUDs
aren't growing in popularity as fast as they could because they are
becoming in general too complex for the mainstream to appreciate.
(MUDs almost always become more complicated with time, few take the
time to make a better newbie experience, which is a shame).  I
think the best thing the MUD community could do for itself is to
identify a handful of MUDs to act as the 'Gateway Drugs', make them
as bone simple to learn and explore as possible, p1mp the hell out
of them, and use them to whet a player's appetite for more complex
MUD behavior.  Using a site like the Mud Connector to lead newbies
to GatewayDrugMUD would, I think, go a long way.

Damion Schubert