[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 22 22:56:14 CEST 2000

Jeff Freeman wrote:

> From: "Par Winzell" <zell at alyx.com>:
> > So. Why precisely are you perturbed by this mail? Are you searching
> > your soul or would you rather he silently disappered beneath the
> > waves?
>
> From any other player I would have just ignored it, or responded that its a
> private MUD and the players only have the "right" to logout.  But he's a
> Real Live Lawyer (who said a LITTLE knowlege of the law was a dangerous
> thing).

Any good litigation trickster can show that the law supports anything they
wish.  Thankfully we have judges and juries.

Here's a thought:
Publicly announce that public mudsex and drug price discussions should be
taken to comp.language.c++.moderated
Now that group and others like it are probably as "public" as one can get on
the internet.  Much more "public" than your mud server.  Yet speech is
censored.

You are on pretty solid legal ground methinks for deciding whether to mute,
gag, ban, or delete any character on your mud for any reason at all.

> Also thinks we should tag all the
> minors as being "Under 18" in order to limit our liability...

That's something I'm in favor of, though my personal reasons have less to
do with legal liability.  I would suggest thatough that is much more likely
for one to be sued successfully over providing pornographic or obscene
content to minors, than for censorship.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--