[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Nathan F Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Thu May 25 16:23:20 CEST 2000

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Erik Jarvi wrote:

:On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 01:15:07PM -1000, Nathan F Yospe wrote:
:> On Tue, 23 May 2000, Lee Sheldon wrote:
:> > On Sun, May 21, 2000 1:34 PM Erik Jarvi wrote:

:> coders) has to know what her developers (be they code, sound, art, or
:> whatever else) are doing, at some level, and manage their skill set.
:> She also needs to know enough to make informed technology choices.

:I don't understand your point here. Are you referring to the game designer
:or the sound designer? I'm assuming game designer here. Why does the game
:designer have to manage the developers skill sets?  (This is probably
:me being out side the biz.)  I don't see the connection to the fact
:that the sound designer in this interview is a musician, who it looked like
:to me, learned about audio engineering on the job?

A designer for a large product is a technically skilled people manager.
A designer must have at least an inkling of the skills and technical
specifics needed for any component of the whole.
A designer must be able to see the big picture and the integration of
the various components of the project.
A designer must be able to visualize the end result not just in terms of
a marketting presentation, but in terms of the development components it
requires.

I was responding to the question raised by Lee, regarding hiring people
with inclusive skill sets (IE art and code and writing) and pointing out
the one way in which those skill sets could translate into a higher
value in an employee.

Just look at Raph if you want an example. :)

--

Nathan F. Yospe - Born in the year of the tiger, riding it forever after
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~yospe  nathan.yospe at isearch.com yospe at hawaii.edu