[MUD-Dev] Narratology and its application to VR, multi-player games, and the like

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue May 30 23:54:22 CEST 2000

Marie-Laure,

What is the availability of your publications?  Your page says to
email, but I'm in the unfortunate position of wishing to
indiscriminately ask for everything as narratology is an entirely
new field for me.

Some background: I'm the list owner for MUD-Dev, a mailing list that
concentrates on, among other things, the design, implementation and
community definition of multiplayer game worlds both commercial and
hobbyist.  A recent topic of discussion was methods of promoting a
sense of "story" in players in the game world, both in the sense of
contextual background, and dynamically by their ongoing activities
in the game world, and what values, especially in community
definition, might be derived from that.  "Embedded narrative" and
"Potocki" was mentioned which lead us to Narratology and you.

A sample of the recent discussion if you are interested:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q2/msg00649.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q2/msg00758.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q2/msg00650.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q2/msg00929.html