[MUD-Dev] Walking

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 9 23:51:05 CET 2000

On Thursday, November 09, 2000, Philip Loguinov, Draymoor wrote:

> Does anyone know about how far an average person can wak in a day?
> How about forced march? How about a horse?

Average modern person, or average medieval person?

An average modern person can walk about 20 miles a day, I'd say.  I'm
presuming that this is over "normal" terrain -- basically plains with
low, rolling hills.  An average medieval I'd put at 25 to 30 miles.

Forced march, an average person can probably do about 30 to 35 miles,
but won't feel good at all after doing it.

A horse with a rider will do about 25 to 30 miles a day.  For
practical purposes, you can't force-march a horse -- if you try,
you'll probably kill it.  That's assuming one horse and one rider,
going over a long distance -- over shorter distances, horses can be
much faster, and a rider who can change horses along the way can also
make much better time.

For reference, ancient and medieval armies usually traveled about 20
to 25 miles a day, with most of the army walking.  A lone person on
foot can usually make somewhat better time than a group, since you're
not limited to the speed of the slowest person or animal.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>