[MUD-Dev] Walking

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Nov 11 23:59:00 CET 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:52:07 +0100 (MET)
Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt <hhs at cbs.dtu.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Philip Loguinov, Draymoor wrote:
>> Does anyone know about how far an average person can wak in a
>> day?

> I once did a 50 Km march with backpack (tent, food etc.) in a day
> (morning to evening).

Legionaire 's pace, ie the walking pace of a Roman Legionaire, was 4
miles per hour.  They also had a rigidly defined scaled march
pattern (walk so long, break for so long etc), with multiple grades
for increasing distance rates etc (which I don't recall just now.
Anyone?).  It was in fact the distance mapping of the distance which
could be covered by a legionaire was what defined the distance
between forts and stages on roads, and in turn defined (in many
cases) where towns sprung up (to support the garrisons/forts).

Britain's development was particularly affected by this.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu