[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Gavin Doughtie gavin at idealab.com
Thu Nov 16 21:23:24 CET 2000

<<EdNote: Slightly reformatted to fit MUD-Dev quoting rules>>

Dmitri Zagidulin wrote:

> Question for you guys - when do you actually _need_ multiple
> inheritance?  I can't think of an example where one would need
> multiple inheritance which couldn't be elegantly expressed (or at
> the very least expressed without much extra effort) as using
> regular inheritance with components.  Can you think of one?

I have never found myself missing it in languages that don't support it, nor
using it in languages that do.
I _DO_ use what is technically multiple inheritance in C++ when I inherit
from "pure virtual" classes --
essentially the same as Java interfaces.

Inheritance in general is should be viewed as an implementation convenience
rather than the core of your design (i.e., the interface of MOB is more
important than how any particular specialization is coded).