[MUD-Dev] Atomic functions

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Nov 17 12:26:22 CET 2000

"Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

>[...]
> Even this could be caught by good coding, however, the real value of atomic
> functions is not in a single-processor environment. The work that Felix has
> been doing in DGD is leading toward being able to code as if you were in a
> single threaded environment, however, if some other processor pulls the rug
> out from underneath your code, it will just rewind and start over. Thus the
> true value of atomic functions is that they enable multiprocessing.

If by that you mean that I can re-use more than half of the code I used
to implement atomic functions for multi-processing with the C&C thread
model, you are correct.

However, I now think of atomic functions as the more valuable feature
for a MUD server, especially in the long term.  Only time will tell.

Regards,
Felix Croes