[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Nov 20 11:33:13 CET 2000

>From: "Mordengaard" <mordengaard at redhotant.com>
>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:05:45 -0000

>Here's another idea to throw into the pot.  If, like us, you don't have
>rigid constraints on your NPCs leaving their "area" (we use a
>"nest/territory" wandering system), and your NPCs are a cut above the usual
>noisemakers you get on most muds, why not have them talk to each other?
>Example:
>NPC shopkeeper Boffo meets NPC Biffa in the streets on the way home from
>work.  They stop for a quick chat, and Boffo mentions that today at work a
>nasty player called Zippo attacked and almost killed him.  Because Boffo
can
>describe Zippo to Biffa (we have a fairly good introduction/ recognition
>system), the next time Biffa sees Zippo she's likely to scream the place
>down for the guards.
>/Example
>What basically happens is that Boffo passes on his (very) negative opinion
>of Zippo to Biffa, who will then have a pre-formed opinion of the PC Zippo
>before she's even met him.  This is also how we pass rumours around the
mud.

Agreed.  Each of the mechanisms you mention would be very nice to have.  I'm
waiting for the day when I can have a fast, stripped down server to
represent each NPC.  Each such server would operate like a user, moving the
appropriate character around.

I wrote several articles about perception, faction/favors, identification,
and some others, over on Stratics' Hero's Journey site:

http://hj.stratics.com/lore/journal/library.html

The articles are listed under the name "Tormanth".  I invite any and all to
poke through those articles.

JB