[MUD-Dev] "gossip"

Ted Milker tmilker at radiks.net
Mon Nov 20 20:27:47 CET 2000

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 04:16:20AM -0500, Josh Rollyson (dracus) wrote:
> Additionally, at each exchange, the "gossip" would grow less credible.
> So while the first 2 or 3 NPCs in the chain may consider it credible,
> others might not, until they hear of similar events, or hear of the
> events from more NPCs.

I like the ideas presented, however, I don't quite understand
this part.  Why does the gossip get less credible as time goes
on?  Wouldn't it make more sense to use some combination of the
gossiping NPCs stats to determine how much credibility is
assigned?  If the mayor of the town is saying this to his wife,
it's probably pretty credible, but if his wife is known as a
gossip, it might not be quite so credible when passed on from
her.  However, if the person who hears this from the mayor's wife
also hears about the incident from someone else, then the
credibility increases.  Also, except for the really "gossipy" NPCs,
NPCs shouldn't pass on all of their gossip tokens to every NPC
they meet.  But with "gossipy" NPCs placed strategically around
town, gossip can still spread rapidly, especially in smaller
towns.

Ted