[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Nov 21 15:57:44 CET 2000

>From: "Joe Andrieu" <joe at andrieu.net>
>Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:42:02 -0800

>It seems like the value of components is that it forces you to be
>strict and define your relationships clearly and cleanly, while
>inheritance allows a programmer to just run with the inheritance and
>do whatever, dealing with conflicts when they are a problem.  Or put
>differently, components allows the diligent programmer to write tight,
>clean code, while inheritance allows a looser mechanism for building
>out the codebase.

  Yup.  As long as we continue to write applications from the ground-up and
never reuse software, we can continue to get away with inheritance as our
means of structuring code.  But when we want to start building software by
grabbing bits and pieces of other applications, we'll need that strict
formation.  The alternative is to keep pouring more and more into big
toolkits (like operating systems, graphics systems and the like) so that we
can continue to write from the ground-up - and the ground level just keeps
going up.

JB