[MUD-Dev] "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG"

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Mon Nov 27 09:08:10 CET 2000

At 08:41 PM 11/26/00 +0000, Marian Griffith wrote:
>On Wed 15 Nov, Koster, Raph wrote:
>
>> An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG
>[essay by Arios Truthseeker snipped]
>
>I am somewhat amazed that there is no reply, nor comment,  at all to
>this essay.

I didn't comment on it because I also thought it was pretty condescending
and, well, wrong.  'Having actually taken the time to talk to a 'd00d' or
two, I've figured out that most of them aren't doods at all.

There are, for example, people who just can't type worth a darn, so they
use 'u' instead of mistyping 'you'.  For some reason, a lot of lawyers fall
into this category.  :)

Some of them are just kids.  Some of them are even pretty nice kids.  But
kids can be impulsive and whatnot.  Sometimes they just make poor
decisions.  This essay suggested that peer-pressure won't work on them and
I know for a fact that's wrong.  We had PKing Dewds in our guild in UO and
they didn't PK while they were in our guild, because we told them not to.
They wanted to play with their friends, whom they had met in our guild, and
knew that wasn't going to happen if we kicked them out of the guild for
PKing.  So, we had PKing dewds that never PK'd anyone (well, apart from a
little slip-up every now and then :P ).

It was even a nice thing for the guild in general, when one of the doves
got PKd and upset, these guys were way eager to go looking for revenge on
their behalf.

Really, there's a wide range with True Foaming Roleplayer on one end and
kewlio dewd on the other end, and I'm not overly fond of either extreme.
I've had more dewds be more friendly and helpful to me than TFRs though,
since they won't talk to me OOC and sometimes game mechanic stuff like "How
do I walk?!" can't be explained in-character.

I got the impression this essay was written by someone closer to the TFR
end of the spectrum, complaining about people at the other end.  Maybe the
dewds do completely "ruin" the game for him and the best thing he can do is
to stay away from them, but I bet he's no special treat to be around, either.

The only thing that bugs me about dewds is their names.  "CaPtAin
CoRnHOLiO", etc.  I don't find them to be as antisocial as TFR's personally.

I just took the essay to be an attack - and a nice demonstration of the
author's intolerance.  It is an encouragement - a plea, even - to please oh
please be as intolerant of these sorts of players as he is.

Well, pass.

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/