[MUD-Dev] "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG"

Jason Belhumeur i_am_kaji at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 27 14:19:12 CET 2000

<<EdNote: Service appended advertising removed.  Please post from addresses
that do not add advertising to your messages.>>

I have been reading the responses to this article and I can't say that
anyone's put even a hint at a suggestion as to how to deal with the
disruptive environment that d00ds tend to foster. So here's mine for what
it's worth, take it as you will. From my experience with paper and dice RPGs
I've found that one of the most effective ways of dealing with disruptive
players is a technique which I believe is called 'Slamming' (maybe wrong),
where when a group is split up or a member is incapacitated the idle player
will take on the role of an NPC (usually a villain) and play it accordingly.
This way a player gets to work against the others without ruining the game.
What I suggest for MUDs and other online environments is instead of trying
to make to d00d reform or make them leave, cater to them (hear me out on
this). In most MUDs there are plenty of tools for the players that wish to
be good guys, but few if any for those who wish to be bad. I think if more
focus is placed on allowing players to play villains then the d00d will no
longer be disruptive, but instead will become an exciting new opponent for
the players to confront. In the MUD I am currently developing we have
several mechanics in place for this, and it looks promising, but this is
just a suggestion so take it as you will.

Jason Belhumeur