[MUD-Dev] PDA-esque devices used in gaming

|Eric| eric at enkanica.com
Mon Nov 27 15:06:53 CET 2000

Recently I relayed a small survey through a realm of table top playtesters
on the use of PDA-type technology in their games. Some of you may be
considering deploying the technology in your own games. I hope the data
I've collected will be of assistance. It was for me, YMMV ;-)

Below are notes that I put together as I sorted and filtered the
informated relayed back to me. The original document will be unavailable
to protect the individuals involved. The link below highlights their
comments and attitudes.

http://www.enkanica.com/RPGxPDA/index.htm

Highlights:

* The use of electronic technology is an accentuating tool.
* Electronic technology tends to lend itself towards generation of
  complicated detail or reference of a detail.
* It appears that the common denominator here involves looking through
  supplemental texts for technical details that may or may not be readily
  available, such as exceptional rules for vehicles and mounts.
* There will be resistance amongst those who fight change.
* Cooperating with technology and advances of characters are prohibited by
  large outside of game play.
* Apparently, this device and/or application would be considered more a
  novelty than an actual tool.

Top Rankings of informational use:
* Core Books
* Supplemental Texts
* Papers
* Engineered content

Conclusion on Design Considerations

* Quick and timely access to information with few distractions
* Compatibility between systems
* PDA/PDQ technology is still relatively new and home to only a few
  enthusiasts.

Further Questions Drawn

* Why is it that players simply have no interest in utilizing digital
  technology with their characters?
* Is the technology still too young to be accepted as a replacement for
  printed text?
* What is the timeline for PDQ/PDA technology to move out of the
  enthusiast market and/or is the gaming subculture a member of this
  enthusiast market?
* Would the LARP market be more appropriate?

-Eric