[MUD-Dev] Weather and Multiple Planets

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Nov 28 00:08:09 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Mitchell" <impmud at yahoo.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 6:37 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Weather and Multiple Planets

> <<EdNote: Service appended advertising removed.  Please post from
addresses
> that do not add advertising to your messages.>>
>
> Hello all.
>
> I'm developing a SciFi MUD that incorporates a
> universe full of planets, each with its own
> time/weather properties. The MUDlib is being developed
> from TMI-2.
>
> My initial design to solving the multi-planet weather
> system was to take the current weather daemon and
> simply make all the data arrays multi-dimensional,
> adding a dimension for the planet. Is this the best
> way to solve the problem? or should I try having
> multiple weather daemons running at once?
>
> Are there any public mudlibs that have implemented
> this?

    We've done this on Retromud. I wasn't the one to implement it, however.
But it is multiple weather daemons inheriting the main base daemon, and
appropriate to that world.

    Don't know if this is 'best' but it definitely works and it's easy to
maintain/update the individual worlds and allow them to have more
differences than just weather [i.e. why would every world have the same # of
days in a season or a year, or even the same seasons?]

    Rayzam