[MUD-Dev] "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG"

Val Trullinger vtrullin at chapman.edu
Tue Nov 28 10:09:28 CET 2000

Jason Belhumeur wrote:

> [snip]

> In most MUDs there are plenty of tools for the players that wish to
> be good guys, but few if any for those who wish to be bad. I think if more
> focus is placed on allowing players to play villains then the d00d will no
> longer be disruptive, but instead will become an exciting new opponent for
> the players to confront. In the MUD I am currently developing we have
> several mechanics in place for this, and it looks promising, but this is
> just a suggestion so take it as you will.

On The Two Towers, a Tolkien-based mud, we offered this option, of
playing the
'evil races': orcs, trolls, olog-hai, black numenoreans, haradrim, etc.
Surprise, surprise! nearly all our dOOds gravitated to playing the evil races.
They had a strict limitation in where they could go and interact with
the other
players and they got to cause lots of death and mayhem within a limited scope
that the RPers and socializers enjoyed as well.

We're currently working on revamping the evil races so they have fewer
limitations. The system isn't perfect, or even close to it, but it did provide
an avenue close to what Jason suggested.

val