[MUD-DEV] Dynamic Timelines

Lord Ashon ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu
Tue Nov 28 15:17:25 CET 2000

Greetings all!
I had an insight today.  A system of Dynamic Timelines or plotlines as you
wish.  Where the MUD determines new plotlines for a quest.  One of the
things that players talk about all the time are wanting more ADMIN or GM run
quest.  I was thinking what if I could design a system where the MUD could
generate these types of quest itself?

I should note that I am working on an Interactive Simulation, where there is
little to no involvement from Admins or so called Wizards.  The Goal is to
Automate an evolving virtual world.  Let the players and the mud decide what
happens.  But back to the post at hand.

The basics for the system are quite simplistic.  The MUD Randomly fills in a
formula and has it's quest. (Bracketed Items are determined by the MUD)
  IE:  [GROUP/PERSON/THING] does [ACTION] to accomplish [GOAL]
Now this is fine and dandy.  The AI Engine I have (BBE -> Brainiac Behavior
Engine) does this on a much simpler system.  But, My problem and I guess
question comes down to, how does one break the quest down to smaller
episodes?  And more importantly how does one automate that process?

  Take a plot-line like this:  Bubba the Evil warrior decides to declare war
on the City Bane to Capture the princess Buffy and marry her.

  There are certain things that Bubba Has to accomplish:
  - gather an army
  - move his army across the world
  - attack Bane
  - Find Buffy
  - Marry Buffy

Breaking it down like this is above my head, so I turn to you.  =p

Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

-Lord Ashon

P.S.  Perhaps you Interactive Fiction folks have some tips or suggestions on
this?