[MUD-Dev] "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG"

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Tue Nov 28 16:04:17 CET 2000

I admit I am somewhat surprised it worked.  I would think that the nature of
the d00d is that he would find equal pleasure in playing good characters.
He sees himself as good, even if his play is perceived by others as evil.
He sees his method of play as virtuous.  He can exploit and grief because
the game allows it, and still be good.  And also he wouldn't want to feel
herded by the designers into some kind of d00d ghetto.  His game rewards are
in spite of the designers as much as it is in spite of other players.  He is
amoral after all, isn't he, not immoral?

Lee