[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

gmiller at classic-games.com gmiller at classic-games.com
Tue Nov 28 19:02:12 CET 2000

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q4/msg00259.php

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:39:55 -0800 (PST)
Jeff Freeman <skeptack at antisocial.com> wrote:
> Really, there's a wide range with True Foaming Roleplayer on one end and
> kewlio dewd on the other end, and I'm not overly fond of either extreme.
> I've had more dewds be more friendly and helpful to me than TFRs though,
> since they won't talk to me OOC and sometimes game mechanic stuff like "How
> do I walk?!" can't be explained in-character.

Over the last decade or so, I've spent a lot of time on muds. My tastes have
shifted from one form of play to another, but the one thing that hasn't changed
is the sheer number of immature jerks in the RP camp. Sadly, they seem to do all
the speaking for the entire group.

I've never understood why people create a character on a non-RP mud and complain
about the people who don't enjoy the same style of play they do. I'm a
Republican, so I wouldn't show up at a Gore rally and complain about all the
Gore/Lieberman campaign signs. If UO and EQ had a "roleplaying required" notice
in their terms of service, I'd be more inclined to listen to this guy's rant.

> The only thing that bugs me about dewds is their names.  "CaPtAin
> CoRnHOLiO", etc.  I don't find them to be as antisocial as TFR's personally.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Name filters always struck me as petty, at best, except
when used to satisfy the law, host rules, etc. Honestly, I find the random
collections of syllables that people use as names on fantasy muds to be far
more tiresome.