[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Miroslav Silovic silovic at zesoi.fer.hr
Wed Nov 29 17:39:34 CET 2000

"John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> writes:

> Miroslav Silovic writes:
>
> > Hmm, coming from LISP backgrounds, the components left me VERY
> > unimpressed. I'm currently working with TOM that allows any module to
> > touch any class, anywhere else in the system (however, it fixes the
> > potential pitfalls with pre/postconditions, so you still can specify
> > the contracts).
> >
> > This is VERY useful. To return to the example, now you can code
> > sharpening as a module that's completely orthogonal to the rest of the
> > system:
>
> How is this different from having a component that implements a Sharpen
> contract and contains the sharpness attribute?  Anything that is sharp would
> incorporate that component into itself.

It's different in that anything that is sharp does not need to
incorporate this component any more - it inserts itself into places
that need it. This means that the component doesn't have a public
interface - most of its interface is simply its existence in the
application.

--
How to eff the ineffable?