[MUD-Dev] \"An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG\"

KevinL darius at bofh.net.au
Thu Nov 30 14:57:20 CET 2000

>>> "John Buehler" wrote
>   Why bother?  Because now when you want to remember "Captain Cornholio" as
> being a jerk, you just label him or her as "Corn Jerk".  In short, you
> decide how you see the names of other characters, not the players of those
> characters.  Your good friend Devrill shows up as Dev because that's the
> nickname that you prefer to see that character by.  People that you don't
> care to remember, you don't rely on your character to remember.  YOU might
> remember, but your character does not.
>
>   Obviously, this really requires some means of interacting with characters
> apart from their name - meaning a graphical game for the most part.

I don't see that it requires graphical interface - such a system has been
discussed on mud-dev before, usually favourably.  If I label you as "JB", and
then 'tell JB blah' or 'give JB blah', there's no reason the mud can't
recognise my naming scheme and act accordingly.

>   If somebody wants to go around typing "CaPtAin CoRnHOLiO" every time they
> meet someone, that's their business.  After a while I think people will just
> introduce themselves with some kind of a reasonable name.  That is, unless
> the game offers an option where you type some simply key sequence to insert
> your name (or any other string of text) into the game.  But what players
> don't get is a free billboard floating over their head with their favorite
> obnoxious statement on it.

Nah, people'll type it every time - and other more obnoxious options.  They'll
even get the chance to introduce themselves obnoxiously to newbies and nicely
to admins ;)

Never underestimate the willingness of people to piss others off.

KevinL
(and we've discussed proxy-type "helper" programs before, haven't we, that can
sit between client and server and add functionality like macros? :)