[MUD-Dev] Importance of User Documentation

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Sun Oct 1 13:03:29 CEST 2000

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jon Morrow wrote:

> [...]

The slides were a step in this direction, but I'm still unsure how to
implement guided tutorials.   Variants on mud schools have been suggested,
but because we're a roleplay mud, it's hard to implement such a thing
without moving away from the atmosphere we've worked so hard on creating.
We do have a room the players begin the game in, where they select their
starting location, so off there would be the logical place, and allow the
experienced players to just bypass it and go straight into the game.  One
problem I've run into is that the new players fall into two groups: people
experienced with MUDs, but new to Armageddon, who often need to be beaten
over the head with the fact that the focus of the game is the storyline,
rather than racking up body counts, or people totally new to MUDs, but
experienced with tabletop RPGs.  Creating a 'mud school' that would serve
them both is difficult.

> >b) Written a script that, when someone requests a helpfile that isn't
> >there, writes the requested word to file, so I can go and look to see if
> >there's anything popping up consitently that needs a helpfile.  (This
> >occasionally leads to fun results, such as noticing that someone has typed
> >help hyperspace, or help I_wonder_if_they_really_do_look_at_these).  I
> >can't claim credit for this excellent idea, since I ran across it on a
> >mudsnippets page whose location I have, alas, forgotten.
>
> Beautiful!  I'm sure your project has benefited greatly from the script and
> I praise you for your dedication in continuously updating.
>
> >c) Provided a way to access all the helpfiles through the webpage.
>
> Are they accessed very often on the web page?  What were your motivations
> for doing so?

They're accessed a great deal, actually.  We do have a waiting period
while characters are approved, which can vary from a few seconds to a few
hours, as well as a regular downtime on Saturday mornings/afternoons,
where we do zone changes, tweaks, put new code in, etc, so there's often
times when players can't be in the game, but would like something to
do.  (I've noticed the activity on our discussion board increases
dramatically on Saturdays due to this.)  As for motivation, we've tried to
make a lot of our stuff web-based in order to get the players reading it,
because there's a wealth of information in those docs and when they're
playing, they're usually...playing and don't have time to read lengthy
files.  I'll note all of the staff-only documentation is on the web as
well -- and there's easily three times as much of it as there is for the
players, since it includes histories, building tutorials, maps, policy
discussions, mission statement, etc.

> >d) Provided EXTENSIVE documentation on the webpage, including walkthroughs
> >and guides written by players.  There's also specialized clan
> >documentation, which includes things like the history of the clans, names
> >and backgrounds on clan NPCs, various guidelines for different clan roles,
> >like guards or merchants, etc.  Recently, I tried providing something like
> >a slideshow for players, intended to get those resistent to wading through
> >the documentation, to get a feel for the game (which I'm rather pleased
> >with, so far, located at http://ginka.armageddon.org/slides/intro1.html).
>
> Supplementary material is always a great idea.  I like the slides.  What
> kind of response have you gotten from them?

The reactions have been highly positive, although I think I'm preaching to
the choir with them -- i.e. the same people who take the time to read the
rest of the documentation are going to read them.  I ried to make them
visually appealing, since I hope some of the players will go just to
look at the pictures, as well as easily readable and entertaining.  I've
just implemented having more NPCs talk, as well, and some of them, like
the tailor or banker, will provide OOC help if you need assistance with
syntax.

Sanvean