[MUD-Dev] Mud / Web Integeration

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 5 20:37:39 CEST 2000

Hiya,

Lee Hulbert wrote:
> The idea of help files available on web pages ahs given me an
> interesting idea.  Has anyone thought of giving new players a web
> page and a graphical (Java,cgi,perl, whatever) interface for creating
> a new character?  Put the basic character creation functions into a
> web form, and allow the players to adjust their choices at will
> before creating a final character file.  Maybe even a graphic that
> changes based on player choices.  When final tweaking is done,
> the page could submit the completed character to admins(if that's a
> required step) or directly to the game server, to activate that
> account.  A user-friendly character creation scheme, and a (slight)
> load off the game server, by relgating that function to the web
> server.  Sound feasible?

At various points, Cold has had a lot of web integration, but
I've seen similar things from the MOO crowd as well.

While we didn't have character generation on the web, we've had
help files (in hyperlinked HTML, generated from a compiled text
format that was also used for the in-game help), mud-mail,
mud-mailing lists, access to browse all of the code for the
system (with the right permissions), user management, conversion
of code into HTML to make it easier to read and trace through,
browsing the game world's rooms, and more.  It's relatively easy
to do, especially if you have a webserver built into the game
(which isn't so uncommon).

One thing to keep in mind if you move some processing down to the
client in the form of an applet or something fancier, is that
you'll need to validate the data on the server side to make sure
it isn't out of the ordinary.  I'm pretty sure that there is even
discussion of this in the archives of the list. :)

Web-based bulletin boards vs in-game ones:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1998Q2/msg00918.php

HTML as a MUD client:
http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2000Q1/msg00622.php

I don't see a good way to do a search in the list archives as it
seems that any search with the word 'web' in it fails.

(I bet the Moebius people chime in soon.)

 - Bruce