[MUD-Dev] Banning Players for Off-Site Activities?

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Fri Oct 6 08:48:15 CEST 2000

At 10:13 PM 10/5/00 -0700, Madman Across the Water wrote:

>I'll just mention that, as usual, there's also a rousing thread on the
>subject at Lum's site (www.lumthemad.net). I've posted a few times
>there, so I won't rant here- suffice to say that I think Sony/Verant was
>way over the line here.

I didn't see the original story, but if it was recognizably set in Verant's
World Of EverQuest Called Norath and depicted child-rape or Pokemon card
collecting or something truly awful like that, then I don't see as Verant
stepped over the line.  And probably just posting the story on an EQ
Stories Board is enough to make it recognizably set in Norrath.

Well, 'cept you can cancel an account without telling the person "We don't
want people like you in our game".  If that's what was said.  That just
seems unnecessarily rude.

Some posted guidelines as to what is/isn't acceptible use of their
intellectual property rather than after-the-fact bannings might have saved
them a big stink or two.  Or three.  But who knew?

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/