[MUD-Dev] Banning Players for Off-Site Activities?

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Fri Oct 6 09:32:23 CEST 2000

According to Ananda Dawnsinger:
> Do admins have the right and/or responsibility to ban a player for their
> behavior on areas not controlled by game management?

They can (as Lum posted himself, they can terminate your access for any
reason. Legally).

The real question is: is it appropriate? does it achieve something?

A player that acts in a disruptive manner, abuse people, exploit cheats
in game, a ban will do something - removing the person from where it
causes problem.

But a player posting game fiction on the web? What does banning him from
the game achieves? He still knows the game mythos. He still has webs to
post on. The ban has achieved zero effect regarding the offensive
behaviour.

Unless Verant pursues the matter legally under the copyright laws (control
of derivative works, protection of their intellectual property), they made
a mistake there.

Unless they hope that a player removed from EQ's game world quickly loses
interest in anything Norrathian, and that this will settle the matter?

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!