[MUD-Dev] ADMIN: More troubles I'm afraid, and the details of the recovery.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Oct 13 23:28:18 CEST 2000

Writing as list owner:

  Kanga.Nu crashed twice last night (almost 200 days uptime till
this week).  I'm still investigating why and there's not a whole lot
of evidence to work on just yet (most relevant log files end with
binary garbage).  However, in the process of recovering from some
incidental file-system corruption from the ungraceful shutdown the
entire list configs for MUD-Dev and some pending not-yet-approved
posts for MUD-Dev were lost.  Unhappily the contents of lost+found
were not useful for the recovery.

  Working from my last backup I've re-subscribed everyone who has
subscribed since then.  Incidentally this means that you'll be
assigned new passwords (if you happened to set one when you
subscribed).  Sorry about that -- I don't have access to your old
password assignments to reset them.  It also means that people who
unsubscribed in that period are now (again) subscribed.  I'm now
going to unsubscribe everyone who has unsubscribed since that same
backup.  (I'm sending this email before I do that so you'll
understand what's going on) If you have unsubscribed and
re-subscribed the same (or sufficiently similar) 20 Sept 2000 and
now it is possible that you'll be unsubscribed as a result of this.
I don't see any obvious collisions of this type (I'm doing the
obvious checks, but I'm not doing sub-domain checks).  If you
receive an unsubscribe message after this posting and you wish to
remain subscribed to MUD-Dev, please re-subscribe.  Sorry for the
extra bother.

  Lasty, I know there were several posts sitting in the moderation
queue.  I don't know what their contents were.  If you have sent a
post since 19 Sept 2000 that has not made it through to the list and
for which you have not received a rejection message from me, pleae
resend them.  With a little bit more luck than we've been having
lately things should work happily from here.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu