[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Madrona Tree madronatree at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 22:20:21 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "David H. Loeser Jr" <daklozar at home.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

> I have to disagree with your decission to side for the plantiffs.
> If a person chooses to volunteer... then they are just a volunteer.

But the question is: Should someone be able to volunteer for a for-profit
corporation?  Should for-profit corporations solicit volunteers?  I think
the answer is no.

> I have a close personal friend who is a guide for EQ. He receives
> a free account for his activities and he loves it. He talks about it
> non-stop!

Well, sure.  There are lots of people who like to be
guides/counselors/what-have-you.  You realize I'm not advocating taking your
friend's job away -- I'm advocating paying your friend for his work.

> Now as for taking jobs away from someone who really needs it...
> Do you really believe that? Get real.

I really believe that people should be paid for their efforts in a
for-profit situation.  I really believe there are lots of college students
out there who would *love* a job for $100/week being a guide.  I really
think that if nobody was volunteering to do the work, Verant/OSI/AOL would
*have* to pay somebody to do that work.

> Most of the people playing and volunteering have jobs and are
> merely volunteering for the extra fun of being apart of
> something cool.

And $6.50/hour for having fun and being a part of something cool would be
bad because...?

> I would think that if you paid people
> to take the place of these volunteers you would have a substantially
higher
> turn-over rate than you currently have, due to the sheer fact that to hire
> someone to do this job (which would be a minimum wage or just above wage)
> you would have to train them and as soon as they had some "computer"
> training, they would be out the door.

In my perfect Admin Program world, Admins would work from home, just as they
do now, and get a check every week for $100 for their effort, instead of a
$10/month free account.

I think you're probably right about the turn-over rate -- but not because of
the reason that you state.  I think that if Origin had to pay counselors for
what they were doing, they'd get a higher quality program, because Origin
(and their customers) would want their money's worth.

Madrona Tree.