[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

David H. Loeser Jr daklozar at home.com
Tue Sep 5 23:53:38 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Madrona Tree" <madronatree at hotmail.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 09:00 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Hello everyone,
This is my first post to this group... sorry it has to be so contriversal.
I was hoping that I would find discussions concerning Mud development and
MMORPGs but, so far, that isn't the case :)

[snip]

> If I were on the jury, I'd find for the plantiffs.  I do not believe a
> service such as AOL (or EQ or UO or any other such for-profit
> corporation) should use volunteer labor.  They are taking away a job
> from a person who really needs one.  If they need help running their
> service, that's fine -- just hire somebody to do it.  That's the way the
> world works.  And what better employee to have than the people who have
> already shown that they'd do their job for free!

I have to disagree with your decission to side for the plantiffs. If a
person chooses
to volunteer... then they are just a volunteer. They know up front that they
will not
be compensated in the normal sense (money). I have a close personal friend
who is a guide
for EQ. He receives a free account for his activities and he loves it. He
talks about it non-stop!
Now as for taking jobs away from someone who really needs it... Do you
really believe that? Get real.
This sounds like some left wing extreme talk to me. Most of the people
playing and volunteering have jobs and are merely volunteering for the extra
fun of being apart of something cool. I would think that if you paid people
to take the place of these volunteers you would have a substantially higher
turn-over rate than you currently have, due to the sheer fact that to hire
someone to do this job (which would be a minimum wage or just above wage)
you would have to train them and as soon as they had some "computer"
training, they would be out the door.

Look at it for what it is. These people know up front what they are doing,
they know they will not be compensated for their deeds (other than free
accounts). So why is it anyone elses concern? Just another instance of a
group like the ACLU butting their noses in the wrong place :)

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser