[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Mud Imp pkme at hub.cyberwizards.com
Wed Sep 6 00:33:00 CEST 2000

someone stated that volunteers should be paid.

A couple comments.
Paid means given something in return for services rendered. In the US paid
seems to mean nothing but handed currency in return for services rendered
but in other countries paid might mean handed eggs or handed a pair of
shoes or handed help with a field or any one of a number of other things.

In the case of volunteers On and Offline, a lot of their jobs are such
that they can get resume credit for them. As well as the reduced price
accounts or free accounts some get. And privlidges that also might be
granted.

Even in the unlikely situation where a volunteer is not paid anything at
all for the time they put in, there's the small fact that everyone seems
to be overlooking that said volunteer KNEW that they weren't going to get
anything back for their time BEFORE they agreed to put in the time and in
fact they had to go REQUEST the job that they volunteered for. Should they
be paid? well if someone walks up to you and says 'please let me wash your
car' and you state 'sure but i'm not giving you anything if you do' and
the person then says 'That's ok, let me wash it.'  Do you then owe that
person anything at all for the services they rendered you? no. you dont.
Even if you use your car to make 500.00 a hour with, you still dont owe
them even a free ride.

Sad how people have 20/20 hindsite. I think the real issue here is that
the volunteers in question should have thought harder about what they were
asking to be allowed to do and what they'd get out of it BEFORE they
agreed to do it. In fact, before they went and asked if they COULD do it.