[MUD-Dev] End of volunteers?

Peter malaprop at malaprop.org
Wed Sep 6 15:36:49 CEST 2000

>Peter writes:
>> 	What it doesn't mention though, is small muds. There are only a
>> handful
>> of muds out there that don't survive on volunteers in the form of
>> immortals or guides. I'd also guess that there are few muds that
could
>> afford to pay staff. While muds are not typically run by for-profit
>> corporations, they're also not often run by 501(c) non-profit
>> organizations. This impending case may mean much to the mud
community.

>Greg Underwood writes:
>I really don't think small, hobby Muds are anything remotely the same.
As
>you mentioned, there is (usually) no money involved.  If the case goes
>against AOL, I don't see how it could be applied to hobby Muds.
Granted, I
>ain't a lawyer, but contrary to popular belief, a large chunk of law is
>grounded in something resembling common sense.

	What I forgot to mention was a related topic- what about muds that
accept or actively encourage donations, especially in exchange for
in-game benefits? Most muds are run by a person rather than being
actually incorporated, so I can see that the issue of volunteers (in
relation to this case) largely disappears. But 'pay for stats' is very
close to 'pay for play' and I could see a good argument that this is a
contract.
	I don't know if this has been discussed before- if it has, please give
me an idea of what to search for in the archives. There may even be some
legal precedent, I dunno. Anyone?