[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Greg Underwood gunderwood at donet.com
Wed Sep 6 20:40:23 CEST 2000

Madrona Tree writes:

> [...]

How do you think the Linux movement gets things done?  Sure, some people
get paid for their work, but the vast majority of the code distributed by
Red Hat was not paid for by Red Hat.  Is their model non-viable?

>  However, I betcha anything that using unpaid labor is not the
> only way to solve the problem of customer service.

Personally, I think the companies just need to make sure they don't give
their volunteer's *anything* of real-world value.  No free account, no
paycheck, nothing.  As long as they are not compensated in any way, and
know that going into the deal, I don't see a problem (Not a lawyer, yadda
yadda).

My understanding of the AOL suit is that by being given some small amount
of compensation, the volunteers became implicit employees, and are now
demanding just compensation for that employment under the sweatshop laws.
It's not an argument over whether companies can or should use *real*
volunteers to profit, just whether they can compensate those volunteers in
any meaningful way or not.

-Greg