[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

David H. Loeser Jr daklozar at home.com
Wed Sep 6 21:07:46 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Madrona Tree" <madronatree at hotmail.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 01:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

> But the question is: Should someone be able to volunteer for a for-profit
> corporation?  Should for-profit corporations solicit volunteers?  I think
> the answer is no.
>
> Well, sure.  There are lots of people who like to be
> guides/counselors/what-have-you.  You realize I'm not advocating taking
your
> friend's job away -- I'm advocating paying your friend for his work.
>
> I really believe that people should be paid for their efforts in a
> for-profit situation.  I really believe there are lots of college students
> out there who would *love* a job for $100/week being a guide.  I really
> think that if nobody was volunteering to do the work, Verant/OSI/AOL would
> *have* to pay somebody to do that work.

OK, I agree with this statement but, in your previous post you made it sound
as if
people were starving because of the volunteers :)

> And $6.50/hour for having fun and being a part of something cool would be
> bad because...?

It wouldn't be bad...

> In my perfect Admin Program world, Admins would work from home, just as
they
> do now, and get a check every week for $100 for their effort, instead of a
> $10/month free account.

You need to include the extra cost of figuring 1000 paid admins. There are
accountants or an outsourced
vendor to handle the pay. Postage for mailing the checks or some fee for
directly depositing.
All in all it would be much simpler to bring people in house... if you do
that then you would need adequate office space and the extra cost of
equipment etc... It just gets really messy.

> I think you're probably right about the turn-over rate -- but not because
of
> the reason that you state.  I think that if Origin had to pay counselors
for
> what they were doing, they'd get a higher quality program, because Origin
> (and their customers) would want their money's worth.

We have included the cost of all of these things into our business plan for
our MMORPG... I agree that an in house team would present a higher degree of
professional treatment to the customers.

I still think that if a human being wants to volunteer time, for whatever
reason... then they should be able to. When I was 15-17, I volunteered at
the YMCA summer day camps; in return I was given a free membership. Granted
the Y is a non-profit org but who cares? I got a free year membership! Just
as it should be no-one but the volunteers business for the big 3 MMORPGs or
any in the future.