[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Wed Sep 6 21:43:37 CEST 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:11:19PM -0400, Willowreed at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/6/2000 8:00:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ananda at winterreach.com writes:
>

> >  There's only two differences between the way GEnie did it and the way AOL
> >  did it:  AOL is flat-rate, and AOL relied on uncompensated volunteers for
> >  many of the positions that received royalties on GEnie.  (GEnie*Basic did
> >  provide free message boards, but the big time-wasters like chat and games
> >  were still $6/hr.)  Of course, AOL has gotten rid of most of their
> >  volunteers by now.
>
> AOL is flat rate NOW, but back in 94 when I started it was $3.85 an hour with
> 15 free hours.  OH accounts like some of us had were worth everything in the
> world to have.  Most of us had bills up in the high hundreds every month
> before we got chosen for the program.  You didn't hear us complain about
> volunteering, i kid you not.  At that point we worked three three hour shifts
> a week.  9 hours plus 'paperwork.'
>
> NOW of course its flat-rate.  which changes things a little.

Hmm, I was under the impression that these were the people suing.
(the ones that started back in the beginning with the $/hr and stayed as
volunteers until recently (2-3 years ago))

I was also under the impression that if you quit you lost all your (aol)
accounts.

These 2 reasons are why I support the plaintiffs. If my impressions are
wrong, then I think I'll have to switch sides. :)

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.