[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Josh Olson jolson at micron.net
Wed Sep 6 23:48:38 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Willowreed at aol.com <Willowreed at aol.com>
>i was a stay at home mom, trying to get work at home.   what i got out of
my
>volunteerism was experience, which now got me the job i have now.  i got
>experience with computers, with the web, with technical support.  i ended
up
>getting a job with a company that someone i volunteered with hooked me up
>with.  then i moved onto this job i have now, and i never regretted a
minute
>of volunteering.

Not an uncommon story.  For the capable and motivated, volunteer programs
provide management and customer service experience, networking
opportunities, and occasionally even a foot in the door of the industry.

Verant's customer service manager, web relations guy, and many GMs were
Guides before they were hired.  I understand OSI has hired Counselors too.

I, too, changed jobs recently and my volunteer experience with EverQuest was
a big topic during the interviews.  I can't say for sure that it got me the
job, but it didn't hurt.

-Josh Olson