[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Fri Sep 8 14:31:20 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services <Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com>
>Dave Rickey said:
>
>>The research that says 10$/month is the limit on
>>what the consumer will pay is pretty compelling....
>
>This issue came up in a recent discussion.  Someone else claimed that
>OSI had discovered it could have charged twice as much and still
>garnered about the same number of subscribers.  I was skeptical and
>agreed with you that 10$/month is probably close to the limit, but
>couldn't find any real research to back this up.  I'd be interested
>in what research is available in this regard and what makes it so
>compelling.

    The operative phrase being "could have".  Perhaps "should have".  Past
tense.  Now that there are games out there at the $10/month price point,
breaking that point is going to require, in my opinion, a game that is so
far ahead of everything else in *every* way that people can't resist it.
"Come play with us, our Customer Service doesn't suck!" is not going to be
enough of a selling point for that.

--Dave Rickey