[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Willowreed at aol.com Willowreed at aol.com
Tue Sep 12 21:07:43 CEST 2000

In a message dated 9/12/2000 11:23:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
madronatree at hotmail.com writes:

>     Paid CS positions for these games draw two types of people: Those
>  > that are looking at it as a way to get into the games business, an entry-
>  > level "pay your dues" kind of job (like Testing has always been for
>  > single-player), and those that if they weren't working there would be
>  > asking "Do you want fries with that?"  Increase the total number of
>  > positions, you aren't going to be getting any more of the first category.
>  > Increasing the number of paid CS staff is not going to automatically
>  > improve CS.  ***And because those "above and beyond" types can no
>  > longer be allowed to volunteer extra time, it will probably reduce
it.*** (yes!)

I am not sure who said this (am not entirely coherent at the moment. blame it
on actifed), but I agree.  I have found that the quality of volunteers is
higher than the amount of money a business could afford to pay them.  If a
company was to make that a minimum (or slightly above minimum) wage job, I
highly doubt they would get a large influx of quality people.  Which also
brings to mind the turnover rate.  If a company is not hiring quality
committed people, what *are* they hiring?  Is their goal to hire teenagers or
college students that will bail at the earliest opportunity?
This is something to be aware of.  In my incessant online travels, I have
found that the volunteers that say, about.com, or miningcompany, or any one
of the others that operate that way, are quality.  The dimwits out for a buck
aren't there.  Which is fine.

Sometimes by paying someone, you lose the quality.  its true, very true.  if
I got paid min. wage or thereabouts, would I continue to volunteer? Probably
not because at that point it isn't fun anymore.  Once there is a pay check
attached to something, the company will expect their money's worth and then
some. Then no one has TIME to care anymore .

wils
PS: If they had to pay me, they couldn't afford me.  I kid you not....