[MUD-Dev] Crime

Andy andy at mouseclick.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 20:52:34 CEST 2000

Greg Underwood <gunderwood at donet.com> writes:
> Ben writes:
>

> >     First off I would have to describe crime.  Crime to me
> > is any action commited by an entity against another entity
> > that has a negative outcome AND that the entity against
> > which is being commited disagrees with.   Basically this
> > means that anything I do to you, that you didn't want me
> > to do, and/or doesn't benefit you, is to me a crime.
>
> I don't know that I agree with the basic definition you propose here.  On
> one level it seems to be somewhat specific, but upon closer inspection, it
> makes several assumptions and is rather vague.
>
> Fer example:
>

> What is an action?  If I cast an area affect spell and you walk in the
room
> as it goes boom, resulting in your death, is it a crime?
>
> What if I meant to time it so that you died as you walked in?
>
> What if I drag a powerful, agro mob into a newbie area and it lays waste?
> I didn't kill the newbies... the mob did.  Sure, I dragged it in there,
but
> the action I commited was against the mob, not the newbies.  Or is it?

If its a super powerful mob why should it be interested in such little
creatures?
Why wouldn't the mob just flick them aside (see below for more on
incapacitation), and go after you - even more angry than before?
If its not so overwhelmingly powerful why wouldn't it just back off and
even run, since it is now outnumbered.  All these cases you raised are
true in games like UO but i think we would all agree that the mobs in UO
hardly rate highly on any scale.

> What if I push a rock down a cliff, and it squashes you?  What if I pushed
> that rock down whilst I was trying to climb the cliff, and didn't even
know
> there was anyone down there?
>
> Where do you draw the line?

Just in front of them and make them have to step over it. To clarify: make
all attacks near fatal for PvP, but force the players to make a second
deliberate action in order to finally snuff out their opponents life.  Or on
the
other hand heal the injuries you caused.
The damage inflicted will cause the player injured some delay, which in a
chase situation may be advantageous.

But a grief player might then just keep attacking a someone to keep them
down.  Well I can think of other situations when that could be useful, so I
am not going to try to prevent it totally. I can also think of several
ingame
ways of leaving in a "get out clause", but they would be different
depending on the history and back story of your own worlds.

Andy
aka
Voltaire