[MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Thu Sep 14 21:19:43 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Kaskinen" <kaskins at malkav.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 6:58 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

<SNIP>

> Having a larger player base means a more dynamic player
interaction...hence
> player balance between the different player types is more difficult to
> achieve...if even possible at all.
>
> Larger scale means less of a sense of community.
>
> Don't believe it?  Then explain to me that an urban area has the same
sense
> of community as a rural area.  That Cities are no different than Town
except
> the fact that they have more people.

    Actually, it does. But it's divided up. Most urban areas have that
community feel, only by block or few blocks or whatnot. Hence places like
Little Italy, Chinatown, Germantown [these are in the broad sense], or more
diverse community driven areas by blocks, that don't have names like that.

    However, in the terms of a massive multiplayer, there needs to be some
way of making these geographic boundaries, or self-segregations. One
possibility is player-owned cities.
    On Retromud, we have player-owned castles. The castles are expandable,
the more gold spent, the larger they can become, with more rooms,
ownerships, tenancies, etc. So friends can live together, people can rent
out portions of castles to other people, etc. They can even grow to be
acropolises :) However, they're not true player-owned cities with merchant
shops, guild halls, and other city services. They can have guards built for
them.
    This is the smallest step towards communities within a game. So much
more can be done. The only limitations are the imagination and time.

    Rayzam