[MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Sat Sep 16 13:07:52 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Tresca <talien at toast.net>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Friday, September 15, 2000 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] MUD Coding Staff Structure

>No, they're not the same.  But one clearly draws its roots from the
other --
>I'm wary of multi-player gaming enterprises who see volunteer initiatives
>(i.e., most MUDs) as the "poor cousin" who can't do things right because
>they don't draw a paycheck.

    Different animals.  Commercial efforts can achieve production values and
population scales not available to the volunteers, but by the same token
we're very restricted in how innovative we can be, because it's not *our*
money we're gambling with.  The core of our system has to be tried-and-true,
it's only around the edges we can take a flyer on something different (and
even then we can't go *that* far out).  MUD's, on the other hand, can try
things that look downright ridiculous because they don't have the balance
sheet riding their backs, and every once in a while that crazy idea actually
works.

    My expectation is that we'll see the same relationship emerge as
Hollywood has to the independant film-makers.  The commercial efforts will
watch the MUD's, raiding ideas and talent, and every once in a while some
independant will do something so brilliant it breaks out.  Then they'll be
the darling of the moment, getting courted by everyone in sight to helm a
major project.

--Dave Rickey